The elevator to success is out of order. You'll have to use the stairs...one step at a time. ~Joe Girard

Spreading Awareness

My purpose in writing this blog is to spread awareness and provide support to parents of children with and without special needs. I have one child with a Learning Disability, more specifically, a Visual Processing Disorder including Dysgraphia and another child with a disease called Eosinophilic Esophagitis, an allergic white blood cell disease that attacks the esophagus.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Food Trials

This has proven to be a complicated process, just as I know it is for most families with EE.  Andrew failed his trial with bison based on symptoms.  He was having stomach pain, chest pain and increased regurgitation.  The GI took him off the bison and had him back on elemental only for about a week before he was able to trial his next food.  He noticed a difference in the way he felt almost immediately.  We knew we were taking a chance with bison.  On the food introduction list that we are following, most meats are in the "C" list category, where as "A" and "B" list foods are less allergenic.  However, months ago, Andrew had been told he could eat a meat first, so the doctors wanted to grant him his wish, and he started with one of the least allergenic meats.

After he failed bison, he chose to start over again with sweet potato, a vegetable on the "A" list.  He has truly enjoyed eating sweet potatoes, a food that he did not like before the elemental diet.  It's amazing what 9 months on EOSplash will do for the taste buds.  I mash them with a little of the water I boil them with and slice them very thin and bake them in the oven.  He has also had a baked sweet potato.  He never complains and will eat them any way they are fixed, but prefers the "french fries" best.

Believe it or not, we had 2 weeks symptom free so we began peaches.  I'm not completely sure how they are going.  He says that he is fine, but I know that his stomach bothers at times.   It is hard to say if it is an "EE" hurt or just from the constant constipation.  We just keep trucking along and hoping for the best. 

Our doctor recommends scoping after 5 foods,  which would be 10 weeks.  We are hoping to get a scope done over Christmas Vacation.  I never like to get my hopes up.  There have been so many times he has been symptom free, but has had 75 or more eos per hpf....even on the elemental only diet.  But wouldn't it be a wonderful Christmas present if he was able to eat 5 foods safely and scoped clear for Christmas!!

***I feel as though I need to apologize for not posting in such a long time.  I accepted a 2 week substitute position at my children's school (that was 6 weeks ago), and there is no end in sight.  Between that and my children I have been extremely busy and seem to have neglected my blog.  Although I never had any intentions of accepting long term substitute positions, I am completely enjoying teaching again....it has reminded me why I went into the profession so many years ago.  

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the food trials. Bison was probably a problem because it's so close to beef, which is a common trigger with EoE. Hopefully his other food choices will be successful.

    I do want to strongly suggest you double check with the Dr regarding the time you need to wait before the next scope. It is usually recommended that you wait at least a month after the last food has successfully been started, making sure to eat each food (at least 2 tbsp of each) every day. If it's only 2 wks since the last food is started, that wouldn't be enough to be sure he is passing that food as it can take longer for the eosinophils to build up in the esophagus. We had been told 5-6 wks when we started 5 + yrs ago, but we're now told it's 8 wks. The reason that CHOP is now saying to wait 8 wks instead of 6 wks is that they are seeing more people who take longer to react.

    Again, good luck with the trials. I'll be crossing my fingers and toes! :-)

    ReplyDelete